BMC is excited to continue to add new functionality and benefits for customers as well as enhancements to existing features.
This release includes significant additions to the web console, providing support agents with more tools such as device inventory details, file transfer, and actions like audit now, ping, reboot, wake up, and shut down, as well as the ability to record remote control sessions.
Ability to record remote control sessions
You can record a remote control session. You can store the recording as an audit of the session, or as a learning or coaching aid. For more information, refer to Configuring remote control recording and Recording a remote control session.
To ensure that the recordings associated with your device are held securely, access to the recordings is restricted. You need specific rights to view a recording and to perform any action on it. For more information, refer to Managing security for remote control recordings.
Enhancements to the web console
BMC Client Management 12.9 adds the following capabilities to the web console:
- Search for a device and view its properties and inventory details. For more information, refer to BMC Client Management web console.
- Transfer files between your local device and a remote device. For more information, refer to Transferring files.
- Launch an audit of the selected device to generate and upload the latest device information and its inventory details. For more information, refer to Auditing a device.
- Perform direct actions such as ping, reboot, wake up, and shut down on the remote device. For more information, refer to Performing direct actions on a device.
- Launch the web console and access the device properties pages using device ID, device GUID, and device name. For more information, refer to Launching the web console for device access.
Enhancements to the Java console
BMC Client Management 12.9 Java console includes the following enhancements:
- You can restart the agent service of the remote device by using the direct access tools. For more information, refer to Restarting the agent.
- A new Mail Proxy variable defines the device to be used for sending emails. The default mail proxy is
master. For a SaaS master, the mail proxy is not defined.
- The Java console now gives a warning message if SQL errors occur while upgrading the master.
Enhancements to Patch Management
Patch management in 12.9 includes the following enhancements:
- You can import and export patches from a patch group. For more information, refer to Managing patches of a patch group.
- A new message is added to the patch group and patch job log file to indicate that patch installation is blocked.
- Patches and service packs with a digital signature are now checked after downloading to avoid the transfer of corrupted files over the network.
- EOL support dates are added for products. These dates are available in the console display and for queries and reports.
- Patch Management now supports the Ukrainian, Slovak, Slovenian, Romanian, Estonian, and Lithuanian languages.
- The information displayed in the Active Patches and Assigned Devices tabs of a patch job has been updated. For more information, see The Active Patches tab of a patch job and The Assigned Devices tab of a patch job.
- If you install a patch without rebooting the device, the patch management module is suspended for that device. You cannot perform any actions such as scanning and patching on the device, until it has been rebooted. The master is aware of devices suspend status and updates to the status. This information is available on the Status tab of the Inventory node to query and resolve.
Enhancements to operational rules
Operational rule execution is improved by reducing the time needed to assign an operational rule to a device. This improvement is possible with the following changes:
- The operational rule steps are now loaded when the agent is installed. The operational rule scripts are copied to each device when executing an operational rule for the first time, so file transfer is not necessary during agent installation. The .chl files for the operational rule steps are present in data/Operational Rules/scripts at the agent installation directory. At agent startup, a xx.chl directory is created for each operational rule step. This directory includes a directory which has the checksum of the XML file as a name and it contains the .chl file. A script is transferred after it is modified.
- The operational rule threads on master and clients are signaled more accurately to avoid latency between the assignment and the execution. The thread is signaled when assigning a device or a device group to an operational rule.
Enhancements to the security settings
- Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS)
CORS defines a way in which a browser and server can interact to determine whether or not it is safe to allow the cross-origin request. It enables restricted resources to be requested from a domain outside the parent domain (from which the web page was served). You can configure CORS in the AccessControlAllowOrigin parameter from HttpProtocolHandler.ini using the dedicated HttpProtocolHandler module configuration operational rule. It is also configured in Console.ini using the console. For more information, see HTTP Protocol Handler module parameters.
- The CORS parameter can have one of the following values:
- The * value enables CORS and authorizes any cross-origin request.
- The empty (0 or NULL) value disables CORS and prevents the cross-origin requests.
- The comma separated list enables the specified CORS authorized domains. For example, http://approved.customer-server.com,https://approved.customer-server.com,https://approved-v2.customer-server.com:8080
Product name change
The BMC Client Management OnDemand product is now renamed to BMC Helix Client Management . However, all the components of BMC Helix Client Management retain their names. The product name BMC Client Management OnDemand will be replaced with BMC Helix Client Management on all marketing and support pages. If you have bookmarked these pages, you should update them with the new links.